What We Do
The Yukon Chamber of Mines represents a dynamic membership and since its creation almost 70 years ago, has worked to serve its valued members and advance the interests of all those involved in the Yukon mining industry. Membership has burgeoned over the years from a dozen founding members in 1943 to more than 400 today. This strong and diverse group includes exploration, mining and service and supply companies, contractors and individuals that have a direct or indirect interest in the mining industry.
In 2009, Yukon mining and exploration directly contributed over $200 million to the territory’s economy, while providing jobs, training opportunities and positive social impacts – particularly in Yukon rural communities.
Significant discoveries and newly-opened mines and a commitment to responsibility place the Yukon at the forefront of the mining industry. As the trusted voice of mining, the Yukon Chamber of Mines thrives on the government, community, First Nation and individual partnerships it forges to help facilitate an environment of responsible development – one in which its members can continue to contribute and prosper.
Who We Are - Board of Directors
The Yukon Chamber of Mines Five Year 2017 Strategic Plan will guide the Yukon Chamber of Mines’ activities and the allocation of resources for the benefit of Yukon’s mineral exploration, development and mining industry.
The advocacy work, which represents the interests of the Yukon mineral exploration, development and mining industry, is developed with input from mining industry volunteer experts, Yukon Chamber of Mines board members, and Yukon Chamber of Mines staff to:
- Clearly describe the views and interests of the Chamber’s members to the public and all orders of government (Federal, First Nation, Territorial and Municipal).
- Serve as a guide and leader for the Yukon Chamber of Mines’ members, committees and staff in developing and communicating policy for our industry.
- To drive the agenda for Yukon mining through public education, and gain acceptance of the mineral exploration, development, and mining industry with an aim to develop a modern economy in Yukon Canada.
- To be a key influencer with all orders of government when it comes to proposed government policy and policy decisions which affect the Yukon mineral exploration, development and the general mining industry.
- To globally become the credible, trusted voice of the mineral exploration, development and mining industry advocating for socially and environmentally responsible economic development.
Yukon Chamber of Mines Priorities:
By embracing a flexible, inclusive and progressive approach, the Yukon Chamber of Mines will accomplish its mission by focussing on six (6) key policy areas:
- First Nations Relations and Engagement
- Land Access and Regulatory Affairs
- Communications, Public Awareness and Education
- Infrastructure and Human Resources
- Finance and Taxation, Royalties and Securities
- Special Projects and Partnerships